Here are some interesting facts about deafness (well I found them interesting.)
- There is more than 360 million people have some form of hearing loss, that’s about 5 percent of the world’s population. (That’s roughly the population of the United States of America.)
- Hearing loss can be caused by ear infections, exposure to loud noises, or you can be born with it. The majority of people not born with hearing loss are over the age of 60.
- There are lots of different names for deafness, here are a few of them;
Hard of hearing- lost some but not all hearing
deaf- have hearing loss, mix in both the deaf and hearing world and can communicate using speech and sign
Deaf- full members of the deaf community, using communicate by signing
Hearing impaired- any level of deafness
- There are devices that can help with hearing loss, hearing aids, cochlear implants, and bone-anchored hearing aids, these all help depending on the type of deafness, the reason a person is deaf can be different.
- There are different degrees of hearing loss; mild (25-40 decibels), moderate (40-70), severe (70-90), and profound (90+).
- Lots of deaf people use sign language to communicate; lots countries have their own versions of sign language or different areas
So there was 6 facts about deafness. Tomorrow I will be giving you some things to help you start to learn to sign, see you then.